Testing frequently used search terms
Run searches report
As part of active content management of the site, popular search words and phrases should be actively reviewed to test whether users are likely finding the content they are searching for. The best way to do this is to run a report on frequently used searches.
- Admin > Reporting > Basic Reporting Tool > Searches tab
- Report on: Searches by keyword
- Order by: Number of users, Descending
- Choose Range: Last Quarter
- Click Generate Report Button
- Click 'save' report (so you can access it again later from the 'Saved Reports' tab)
- Click 'export'
- Copy and paste exported text file to Excel document
Test & comment
Search the site using the top search terms one by one and update your content / sections as required.
See the example below with notes on searches and what updates may need to be made.
||Testing and comments
||HR & Training page which contained a lot of the A/L documents did not come up in search. Add "annual leave" keywords to this page.
||Add 'QI' to Quality Improvement page
||Add 'staff' to 'employee awards' title. Supply information on how to nominate staff for Staff Awards?
||Not clear what it is staff are searching for. Ask my colleagues
|annual leave policy
||There is no sickness policy document?
||No info on this on intranet. Create a new pension page
Action updates to improve search
Create new content
Some content may simply not exist. For example, many users were searching for 'pension' but getting no results. In this case a new page or content item should be created to deliver users what they need.
Update text and metadata
Some content may not include the keywords users are actually using to search. E.g. users were searching for 'staff awards', and therefore not finding the relevant page which was titled 'employee awards'.
To help users:
- update the name of the item to include 'staff'
- add 'staff' or 'staff awards' into the intro or description text
- add 'staff' and 'staff awards' to tags / metadata keywords for the item
- if Search Term Correction is active, add 'employee awards' as a search term alternative for 'staff awards'
This is ongoing work which should be scheduled every quarter.